When you search the words ‘weight loss’, a plethora of solutions, tips and ideas ensue. Which one works best? Meal replacements shakes are one of the best solutions for weight management. Here’s why:
1. They are full of nutrition.
First of all, meal replacement shakes offer a complete nutritional profile, giving you enough protein to sustain your muscles and appetite as well as vitamins and minerals to nourish your body. Look for shakes that can meet your calorie and protein needs per serving and are low-fat and diabetic friendly to support healthy blood sugar levels.
2. They are ultra-convenient.
Secondly, meal replacement shakes are easy to take on-the-go. Preparing meals can be too time-consuming for your busy schedule, and finding healthy meals and snacks when traveling can be challenging. With meal replacement shakes, you can whip it up quickly and guarantee yourself a nutritious meal.
3. They can be more effective than dieting alone.
According to a study published in the Journal of Obesity, individuals who used meal replacement shakes twice a day for six weeks and then once a day for eighteen weeks lost significantly more weight at the end of six months than individuals who followed a regular meal plan regimen.1 In another study, published in the American Dietetic Association Journal, a meal replacement program was found to be more effective for weight and fat loss than a standard weight loss program provided to soldiers in the military.2
4. They are easier to keep up with than the Kardashians.
Because weight loss programs that include meal replacements have greater weight loss outcomes, according to a study in the Nutrition Journal, you’ll feel more motivated to stick with the program.3 Remember the key to weight loss is consistency and mental fortitude. The longer you can adhere to a weight loss regimen, the better progress you will make.
5. They can be part of any weight management program.
Not surprisingly, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says that meal replacements can be used as a part of a comprehensive weight management program. In addition, there is strong evidence that replacing one or two meals a day is an effective weight management and maintenance strategy.
6. They can help you become healthier.
When you use meal replacement shakes to help you improve your weight, the rest of your health will follow. Research shows that losing weight can indirectly lower many unhealthy risk factors that can lead to detrimental and chronic conditions.
By: Jamie Luu, RDN, LDN
1. Deibert, P., et. al. “Weight loss without losing muscle mass in pre-obese and obese subjects induced by a high-soy-protein-diet”. August 2004. International Journal of Obesity.
2. Smith, Tracey., et al. “Efficacy of Meal-Replacement Program for Promoting Blood Lipid Changes and Weight and Body Fat Loss in US Army Soldiers”. 2009. Journal of the American Dietetic Association.
3. Coleman, Christopher D., et al., Effectiveness of a Medifast meal replacement program on weight, body composition, and cardiometabolic risk factors in overweight and obese adults: a multicenter systemic retrospective chart review study. 2015 Aug 6. Nutrition Journal.