French Onion Beef Tenderloin and Lemon Lovers' Asparagus
Ingredients (for 2 people):
French Onion Beef Tenderloin • 8 oz beef tenderloin (file! mignon) or sirloin steak, 1-1 1/2, inches thick, trimmed and cut into 2 steaks • 1/4 tsp minced dried onion • 1/4 tsp salt, divided • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper • 3 canola oil, divided • 1 tsp large sweet onion, thinly sliced • 2 1/2 Tbsp dry sherry • 1 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour • 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth • 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme • 2 slices whole-grain baguette(% inch thick), toasted • 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese • Lemon Lovers' Asparagus • 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends trimmed • 1 lemon, thinly sliced • 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil • 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried • 1/4 tsp salt • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 portion contains 467 cal • 33 g protein • 29 g carbs • 7 g fiber
French Onion Beef Tenderloin
- Sprinkle steaks with dried onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 1/8, teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, turning once, until desired doneness, 3 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a plate and tent with foil.
- Position a rack in upper third of oven. Preheat broiler.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2, teaspoons oil to the pan. Add onion and sherry, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and golden brown and the liquid has evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onion and stir to coat. Add broth, thyme and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook until bubbling and thickened, about 1 minute more.
- Remove from the heat and return the steaks and any accumulated juice to the pan. Pile up some of the onions on top of the steaks. Top each steak with a slice of baguette and some cheese. Transfer the pan to the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Serve the steaks with the onions and sauce.
Lemon Lovers' Asparagus
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss asparagus, lemon slices, oil, oregano, salt and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, shaking the pan occasionally to toss, until the asparagus is tender-crisp, 10 to 15 minutes.