Quick Chicken Cordon Bleu with Trio of Pea and Buttermilk-Herb Mashed Potatoes
Ingredients (for 2 people):
Quick Chicken Cordon Bleu • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (10-12 oz), trimmed and tenders removed • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper, divided • 1/8 tsp salt • 3 Tbsp shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese • 1 Tbsp reduced-fat cream cheese • 2 Tbsp coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs • 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or thyme • 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided • 2 Tbsp chopped ham (about 1/2 oz) • Trio of Peas • 1 tsp canola oil • 1/2 cup snow peas, trimmed • 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, fresh or frozen • 1 cup frozen peas • 1/4 tsp freshly grated lemon zest • 2 tsp lemon juice • 3/4 tsp dried tarragon • 1/2 tsp butter • 1 pinch of salt • Buttermilk-herb Mashed Potatoes • 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into chunks • 1 clove garlic, peeled • 1 tsp butter • 2 Tbsp fat-free buttermilk • 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh herbs • Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste • Buttermilk-herb Mashed Potatoes • 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into chunks • 1 clove garlic, peeled • 1 tsp butter • 2 Tbsp fat-free buttermilk • 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh herbs • salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 portion contains 476 cal • 41 g protein • 33 g carbs • 7 g fiber
Quick Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle chicken with ⅛ teaspoon pepper and salt. Combine cheese and cream cheese in a bowl. Combine the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper with breadcrumbs, parsley (or thyme) and 1 teaspoon oil in another bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a medium, ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Move the chicken to the center so the pieces are touching. Spread with the cheese mixture, sprinkle with ham, then top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F, 5 to 7 minutes.
Trio of Peas
- Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add Snow peas and sugar snap peas and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in frozen peas and cook until heated through. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, tarragon, butter and salt.
Buttermilk-Herb Mashed Potatoes
- Place potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Add garlic. Bring to a boil; cook until the potato is tender. Drain; add butter and buttermilk, and mash with a potato masher to the desired consistency. Stir in herbs. Season with salt and pepper.